If you’re looking into a TEFL certification online, you likely have a number of questions. There are a lot of options, and this article is designed to do two things:
- Discuss the different levels of certification
- Recommend a program for your TEFL certification online. (hint — it’s our partner, and we’re excited to show you why we love them so much!)
- Convince that although some English teaching jobs don’t require a TEFL, having one is in your best interest.
Teacher Indie has partnered with the leading online TEFL/TESOL provider, BridgeTEFL, to provide background information on the different paths to certification. Here’s what each looks like, in series of posts beginning with this one.
Ready? Here we go!
Your trust factor will skyrocket
Let’s say you wanted to train to become a massage therapist. In order to become licensed, you must complete professional training from a licensed masseuse and demonstrate that you have obtained the core knowledge and skills necessary to perform the job before obtaining certification yourself.
You wouldn’t trust any old bloke on the internet to teach you, would you? No way! You’d want to know that the person is certified to be doing what they’re doing and that your training is going to land you in the same professional class.
Enter BridgeTEFL. We’ve worked with them and trust their services, and we’re certainly not alone — their TEFL courses are certified by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training.
By studying with them, your students will know they can trust you before lessons even start. You’ll have an easier time landing jobs and students. And, you’ll will be more mobile to take your teaching skills on the road and travel the world.
You can apply for more English teaching positions
You have multiple options, depending on what you want to do and whether or not you’ll be applying to work for a third party company as opposed to simply working for yourself.
The most basic option is the standard TEFL/TESOL certification course. Over 40 hours of online study, you’ll you’ll be introduced to the basics of TEFL and complete six modules of EFL theory. You’ll also have access to a collection of supplemental videos.
This certification meets the requirements for most entry-level English teaching positions around the globe and gives you the ability to list a TEFL on your resume, website, or LinkedIn.
You can take advanced certification courses to apply for top-level jobs
If you want to take your certification further, BridgeTEFL offers a 60-hour “Educator” level TEFL certification as well as a 100-hour “Professional” level certification. These courses build on the general cert and dive deeper into teaching strategies and theories. They allow for more instructor feedback and more practice time.
In addition, by completing the 100-hour course you’ll be fully licensed to apply for any English teaching job that requires 100 hours of certified study (many of the top-paying jobs do).
Your certification is recognized by the US Department of Education
A TEFL isn’t supposed to just look pretty hanging on your wall, right? You want to be recognized as a certified professional in your field. Because of their accreditation by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training, BridgeTEFL is recognized by the US Department of Education as a trusted provider.
This means that their programs accomplish and pass the following, according to ACCET assessors:
- The development and implementation of institutional and program goals and objectives that focus upon a continuing education mission.
- A comprehensive, analytic self-evaluation review and report by the institution.
- An on-site professional peer review to evaluate the adequacy and accuracy of the self-evaluation, and
- An independent review and decision by the Accrediting Commission as an assessment of the institution’s commitment to and compliance has been completed.
A TEFL is your gateway to teaching in the most profitable and high-impact countries
Some of the countries that pay the most for English teachers are as follows:
- United Arab Emirates — English teachers in the UAE can earn over $4,000 per month, and here’s the kicker — that income is likely to be tax-free. The UAE is also an incredibly diverse country — 83% of Dubai residents are foreign-born — and the English is the de facto language of business. Couple this with the fact that it is nearly impossible for these expats to obtain Emirati citizenship, which means people are constantly coming in and moving out, and you’ve got a seemingly endless base of potential students.
- Taiwan — English teachers in Taiwan can earn up to $44 per hour if they’re willing to go on the ground into public schools. A TEFL is your certificate to success here. Many students in Taiwan, China, and elsewhere in Asia also take English lessons online, and one of the best ways for you to get access to them is to apply for a job with VIPKid — get that TEFL ready!
- Kazakhstan — Kazakhstan is on the rise as a global travel destination, and being an English teacher there is icing on the cake. You can make up to $5,000 per month in addition to a wide range of benefits including relocation assistance and health insurance. This is one destination where you can actually get ahead financially while teaching English.
- South Korea, China, and Kuwait are other counties that pay above-average salaries to English teachers.
In addition to higher pay, these countries also have a great need for English teachers. Whether it’s businessmen in the UAE or grade schoolers in Taiwan, getting your TEFL certification online will help you get in the door to teach in these countries and many others.
BridgeTEFL is the one-stop place to earn your TEFL certification online
We can’t recommend BridgeTEFL highly enough.
We are so happy to refer our readers to their TEFL certification online process. It’s straightforward and will provide you with the skills (and the certificate!) necessary to take your English teaching career to the next level.
And hopefully to the world!
Check out their services by clicking on the logo below.