Building an online business from the ground up may be daunting for all the aspiring online educators out there. But it certainly doesn’t have to be. There are many simple steps you can take to get yourself on track and make your business a success.
Welcome to The Anomalous Educator, where each week award-winning entrepreneur Ray Blakney sets out to explore the world of education and online business with the help of successful professionals.
If you’re an educator, entrepreneur or someone who wants to improve people’s lives while having your own freedom, then this podcast is for you.
In this episode of The Anomalous Educator, we are joined by Annemarie Fowler, the founder of Speak Confident English.
Annemarie is an online fluency and confidence coach for shy non-native English speakers who want to be successful in English. For over 20 years, she has strived to fulfill her commitment to helping international women live life in English with confidence.
In 2014, she launched Speak Confident English, which has helped hundreds of students from 73 countries develop the skills they need, so they can be confident English speakers. Each Wednesday, she shares free ‘Confident English’ lessons with more than 275,000 followers in her community.
Annemarie’s deep love of traveling has seen her move 14 times in her busy lifetime. She has lived in five different countries, including the U.S., Pakistan, Czech Republic, Germany, and France.
In this episode, Ray and Annemarie discuss how teaching English around the world has shaped who she is today. They also dive into why in-depth reviews of her favorite students helped her whittle out her niche and why following your passion may not be the best idea.
Also in this episode:
- How Annemarie runs an online business alongside her passion for travel
- How Annemarie transitioned from teaching in a classroom to teaching online
- What Annemarie loves about teaching remotely
- Why teachers are so creative and highly adaptable
- Annemarie’s biggest business failure and how she overcame it
- Why you need to be vigilant about your surroundings and seek out good Wi-Fi
- Understanding Annemarie’s business
- How Annemarie defined her niche and how you can too
- The realistic timeline for creating a successful business
- Why you need to be creating free content while staying consistent
- Why you shouldn’t follow your passion