Going from teaching art classes in community colleges to selling over $1 million in online courses is quite a big jump. So how does one make such a huge transition and is it possible for any teacher?
Welcome to Anomalous Educator, where each week award-winning entrepreneur Ray Blakney, sets out to explore the world of education and online business with the help of successful online professionals.
If you’re an educator and want to venture into the world of online instruction, but don’t know where to begin, this episode is for you.
In this episode, I speak with Daniel Scott, an Adobe certified expert and instructor and founder of Instructor HQ and bringyourownlaptop.com. Daniel got his start teaching graphic design after earning his degree in New Zealand.
After freelancing for several years, Daniel realized teaching was the most rewarding job he had ever had but wanted to be able to reach students on a much larger scale.
Through the process of creating his own courses, Daniel found his passion for helping other educators do the same. And with that, Instructor HQ was born, an online platform for teachers and instructors to create and sell their online courses and programs.
During this episode, you’ll hear Daniel and I discuss his journey from struggling to get his courses online to helping others share their passion for teaching.
Although Daniel has seen great success with his own classes, his real passion is assisting fellow teachers in carving out an online instruction career for themselves.
Listen to all his great tips for getting started online and how to market your instructional videos on several different platforms besides his own.
Also within this episode:
- How Daniel found his passion for teaching
- Why teaching is so rewarding
- Why online teaching is less stressful than in-person classes
- What to expect in your first year of online teaching
- The planning process of creating online courses
- How to decide on the subjects for your online courses
- What platforms are helpful for selling your courses
- How to understand payment from different selling platforms
- How to set your pricing and why
- The biggest challenges of creating and selling online courses