Course design can be a daunting affair. You’re contending with designing objectives, constructing outlines and testing the market. Luckily, we have someone to guide us through and break down, step by step, the key processes when it comes to online learning materials.
Welcome to the Anomalous Educator, where each week award winning entrepreneur Ray Blakney, sets out to explore the world of education and online business with the help of a host of successful online business professionals.
If you’re an educator, entrepreneur or someone who wants to improve people’s lives whilst having your own freedom, then this podcast is for you.
In this episode of the Anomalous Educator, I had the opportunity to speak with the renowned expert in course design, Cherie Elpel. Cherie has a knack for designing and developing custom learning solutions for corporate learning audiences, with commercial aviation firmly positioned as her niche market.
Not only is she an expert educational materials designer, she has a passion for narration and lends her voice for eLearning modules and eBooks.
In this episode, we discuss the 6 steps you need to know to design your own effective courses. We hear about her aviation background and her nomadic spirit that lead her on a 90 day journey biking across the United States.
We also discuss:
- How Cherie got into course development
- What is course and instructional design?
- Are you using the right language to communicate with your audience?
- Changing your perspective to get a better view on your course
- Why you need to get SMART
- How to Identify your audience
- Why you should research different learning styles
- What are learning principles and why they’re vital for adults
- How to overcome self-consciousness when recording voice narration
- Narrating with your audience in mind