Having the freedom to travel and earn at the same time is the dream for so many people. For one person that dream is a wonderful reality.
Welcome to the Anomalous Educator, where each week award winning entrepreneur Ray Blakney, sets out to explore the world of education and online business with the help of successful online business professionals. If you’re an educator, entrepreneur or someone who wants to improve people’s lives whilst having your own freedom, then this podcast is for you.
In this episode of Anomalous Educator, Ray is joined by Rachel Story, the other half of the husband and wife nomadic duo, Grateful Gypsies. Back in 2009, and fresh out of school with a bachelor’s in music, Rachel intended to join the workforce in Nashville and begin her long awaited music career.
As fate would have it, she became faced with a string of bad luck which shifted her intended path towards Beijing – the starting point for her career as an English teacher. Since 2010, Rachael hasn’t looked back and has been living, traveling and blogging around the world with her husband, Sasha.
Rachel tells Ray the enthralling story of how she became a digital nomad working for the top rated online English language company, VIPKid. She also shares some insight into the teaching application process, and how you can go on to ace the interview.
We also discuss:
- Rachel’s story – how she became an avid traveller
- The dark side to teaching English to kids
- Rachel and Sasha’s golden rules for daily success
- The things you need to know when applying for online English teaching roles
- Rachel talks tech – the hardware you need to teach
- What your options are for legitimate English teaching companies
- The online application process – what to expect
- Why remote student-teacher relationship is so fluid
- What is TEFL and TESL and how you can apply
Magic Ears: Website